History

The history of Sunflower U.P. Federal Credit Union

Sunflower Credit Union was formed January 14, 1952 by seven Union Pacific Railroad employees. The par value of a share was $5.00 just as it is today. Membership was open to employees of the Fourth Subdivision of Union Pacific Railroad and their families. The first office was in the Roundhouse of the Union Pacific Railroad depot, run by one of the founders, Paul Hulse.

At some point in the 1960’s the office was moved to the Professional Building on Broadway Street of Marysville. Ida Finnigan was the 1st manager followed by Emma Berkley in 1968. In 1972, JoAnn Peeks began assisting members of the credit union. She followed Emma as manager in early 1978 and was with the credit union for 25 years before retiring in 1997. The current manager, Janet Fritschi, began in March of 1997.

JoAnn was instrumental in expanding the credit union’s membership base. The “Field of Membership” was expanded in March of 1973 to include UPRR employees working on the St. Joseph and Manhattan branches. In February of 1993, employees of Tension Envelope Corporation working in Marysville were added to the “FOM”. JoAnn was also instrumental in adding services offered by the credit union including timed certificates (CD’s) and share draft (checking) accounts.

The credit union had several office locations in downtown Marysville including: 708 Center and 1100 Broadway. In 1989 the building at 822 Broadway was purchased. A major remodeling project was completed in 2002 restoring the first floor of the building to its historic brick walls, a corner entrance and large south windows.